Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Nocturnal Painting

I have discovered the "coolness" (both literally and figuratively) of plein air painting after the sun sets. Most commonly known as nocturnal painting it is a genre that has been gaining popularity among plein air painters and now I see why.  It literally is cooler temperature wise. It was about 108 degrees in Tempe, Arizona during the day when I traveled there to paint. When I finally set up to do this painting temps had come down to around 100 which doesn't seem like much but with about 20% humidity and a slight breeze is much more comfortable. No sunblock required!

Nocturnal painting is definitely different from daylight painting and does pose it's own challenges.
All in all though I look forward to doing a series of these nighttime paintings.  Stay tuned.


Nocturnal Tempe
Acrylic 8x10"
Original for sale

No comments: